Boat Registration and Title
New and/or transferred vessels are registered in Scott County. Boat registrations expire on April 30th, 2016 (every three years starting 2007). Boat fees are based on the length of the boat. All boats over 17' in length (except canoes and kayaks) require a title. All boats with a lien must be titled.
Items needed when transferring a boat:
- Bill of Sale * (see below)
- The most current registration signed
- The title, if indicated
- Make, Model, Model Year, HIN, Boat Length, Boat Width, Type of Use, Boat Type, Hull Material, Propulsion, Fuel Type, Capacity, Horsepower
* Before a recreational vehicle or vessel can be registered a receipt, bill of sale or satisfactory evidence that the sales or use tax has been paid for the purchase of the vehicle. Sales are subject to 7% if purchased in Iowa and 6% use tax if purchased out of state.
Use the following application for duplicate titles, Liens, or transfers:
- Application for Registration Title and Security Interest (479.3 KB)
- Print, complete, and mail or deliver to Recorder's Office.
- Call the Scott County Recorder's Office at (563) 326-8622 for the correct fee
- Application for Transferring Title and Registration
The form and a check made payable to the Scott County Recorder is necessary for a title.
- Application for Duplicate Title
The form and a check made payable to the Scott County Recorder is necessary. Upon receipt of the duplicate title application there will be a five working day wait until issuance.
- Application for Security Interest
Security Interest requires the signature of the owner on an application, current title, lending institution name and address and check or money order made payable to the Scott County Recorder.
For assistance, please call (563) 326-8622.
Effective July 1, 2005 per the Iowa Department of Revenue:
- Per section 45 of SF 413 amended Iowa Code section 423.3(39).
- Sales of boats and other watercraft in Iowa are subject to the state sales tax of 6 percent plus local option taxes, if any. This applies to sales by Individuals, as well as, dealers.
- Anyone purchasing a boat from an individual should obtain a receipt that shows the cost of the boat. The buyer will then pay the sales tax on the cost of the boat to the County Recorder.
- If a trailer is purchased with the boat, the motor vehicle use tax is paid to the County Treasurer.
Please direct questions to the Iowa Department of Revenue Taxpayer Services at 1-800-367-3388
- Late Boat Renewal Jet Skis: $54.90
- Late Boat Renewal less than 16 ft: $32.40
- Late Boat Renewal 16 to-under 26 ft: $45.90
- Current Iowa Boat Transfer: $16.50 + 7% sales tax
- Expired Iowa Boat less than 16 ft: $34.65 + 7 % sales tax
- Expired Iowa Boat 16 to-under 26 ft: $60.90 + 7% sales tax
- Out of State Boat 16 to-under 26 ft: $29.65 + 6% sales tax
- Out of State Boat less than 16 ft: $12.40 + 6% sales tax
- Boat Lien: $12.75
- Duplicate Title: $12.75